FANDOM



  • Hi everyone! Thanks for taking a few minutes to give these very important rules a read!

    Please note that wiki rules are always subject to change, and new ones can be added, so please check back and review the rules often! Breaking the rules can result in warnings and possibly bans if serious enough, so it is always a good idea to stay on top of the rules!

    Etiquette

    *Persons under age 13 should not create accounts, to abide with Wikia rules. This is why we request that all users list their age on their profiles and/or driver pages. If discovered to not have been done already, users will be asked to do so. Failure to comply may result in a strike.

    *Please be nice and respectful to other users.Remember, there is a real person receiving your messages, so don’t type anything that could hurt someone’s feelings.

    *Please try to avoid using any swears or rude words.

    *You are not allowed to edit other people’s pages without the consent of the authors unless otherwise stated.

    *We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind, including racism against all races, sexism against all genders, and bias against any sexualities, no exceptions. Although OCs are allowed to have these types of traits in their characters, be sensitive about how you go about it regardless, and it should only be the characters who act like this, never their users under any circumstances.

    Content

    *Keep everything PG-13. All extreme NSFW characters, fanfictions and art will be questioned.

    *Violence and gore, despite having somewhat of a place in Monster High, should still preferably begin with disclaimers.

    Art

    * Any art posted must be created by you or has been given explicit permission from the creator(s). Such artworks will need to be properly credited to them.

    *Pictures made using dress up games and dollmakers are not allowed.

    *Tracing and recoloring from other people’s artwork is not allowed.

    *Bases are allowed but only with the following conditions:

    -The base was created by you or you’ve been given permission by the creator of the base.

    -Sufficent effort is put into the piece. Rough recoloring doesn’t qualify.

    Characters

    * Monsters from classic literature, classic movies, mythology, folklore and cryptozoology are allowed.

    * Superheroes, super villains, serial killers and the like are not allowed as they are technically human.

    * Crossovers are no longer allowed.

    * Original alien/elemetal species are allowed.

    Other

    * Fan-made locations such as schools and shops are allowed to have their own pages.

    Chat Room Rules

    *Please keep all chats PG-13! If you have anything to discuss with someone that would exceed this rating, please do so privately, and only if appropriate.

    *Welcome a new user when they enter a chat! We always want people to feel like they belong and can make friends. :)

    *Try not to talk over other people. That can make people feel unwelcome or like what they are trying to share is not as important as what you are saying.

    *Please don’t spam with excessive or unneccessary posts.

    Three Strikes Policy

    *If a user breaks rules seriously and persistently enough, this can result in a ban. The first two bans will be temporary, meaning that after a certain period of time, the user will be allowed to return to their account. The length of these bans will depend on the severity of the respective offences. However, if the user breaks a rule for a third time, this action will result in a permanent ban. This means that the user will not be able to return to their account and will not be allowed back to the wiki. Any subsequent accounts made by an already banned person will also be permanently banned on discovery.

    Categorization

    *Categorizing wiki pages is very important for navigation and orginization purposes. To make categories as simple and user-friendly as possible, please refer to the following guidelines: 

    Original Character

    ---The "​Original Character​" category will keep the character pages separate from others, such as “Fanfiction”, "Fanfiction Diaries​", " TV Specials", " Movies", " Doll Lines", etc.

    ​Gender

    ---Thanks to the very specific categories of "Males", "Females", and "​Nonbinary​", as well as a few select others, we will no longer need categories such as “girls", "ghouls", "mansters", "boys", "originalcharacterboys", "originalcharactersgirls", and other similar categories.

    ​Orientation

    ---You may categorize a character's sexuality ("Heterosexual", ​"​Homosexual​", ​"Bisexual​", etc) as well as romantic orientation if you choose to (​"Aromantic​", "​Panromantic", ​"​Demiromantic​", etc)

    Status

    ---If the character is not a student (i.e. "Parent​", ​"Teacher", "Pet​", etc), use these types of categories to let us know what they are. If they are staff and teach at an OC school, please list them as "OC School ​Staff​".

    ​OC schools

    ---If the character is not a student at Monster High, but is instead a student at another school (i.e. Olympus Academy​), be sure to categorize the character as a student from that school's personal categories.

    ​Personal

    ---If the character’s page has personal categories, be sure to keep these, as it allows the user to keep track of their characters and pages (i.e. Jade-the-Tiger’s OCs)

    Adoptable

    ---If the character is listed for adoption, they should be placed under the “Adoptable” category.

    ​Species/Origin

    ---Ensure that the character is categorized by its parentage (i.e. "Vampire", "Ghost", "Demigod", etc.). If the character is in a “Vampire” category, we do not need to have categories like “Vampires”, “Vampire OCs”, etc.

    ---If the character is a hybrid, use the category for each of their two species as well as the "Hybrid​" category.

    ---If the character is a demigod, they may have the category of who their parent is (i.e. "Hades​") and may also have a category for their mythology origin (i.e. "Greek Mythology​"), which also applies to mythological monsters. Legends should be handled similarly, denoting the geographical origin of the legend and the parent. If the OC is not from a myth or legend but still has a named parent (i.e. "King Kong"), then feel free to do the same.

    ---These rules will similarly apply to other OCs whose parentage originates from a different medium, so please use categories such as “Cryptozoology”, “Literature”, or “Film”.

    ---An OC may also be classified by their nationality, which may or may not be completely disparate from their parental origin, so “Greek”, “North American”, or “German” for example.

      Loading editor
    • WHAT THE HECK? No crossovers? You've got to be kiddig me

        Loading editor
    • Justme24 wrote:
      WHAT THE HECK? No crossovers? You've got to be kiddig me

      I agreed with you, I just don't know why? What a Shame! :(

        Loading editor
    • No crossovers kind of limits things. 

      I always enjoyed people making OCs based off famous horror movie monsters. I mean... Dream Demons and Slasher Killers are monsters too! The point of a fandom is to be able to explore things that often wouldn't appear in canon, by limiting things so much you limit the creativity you give to creators.

      Also by saying you don't allow things that are 'technically' human, you also 'techinally' say that any Mad Scientists, Any Jeykll/Hydes, An Phantom of the Opera kids, and any Igor/Renfield etc. kids aren't allowed because they 'are' 'techincally' 'human'. 

      It won't stop me from making OCs, it just feels very limiting to a certain demographic. Especially when you have the chance to have fun with all these Horror inspired looks. Horror is a broad genre and exploring it should be something this fandom encourages. This is like... baby's first horror show. Lead them into more things they can enjoy. 

        Loading editor
    • Slasher killers aren't monsters in a literal sense, they're just horrible humans. I also take issue with the fact that you say that Renfield and Igor, disabled human characters (mental illness and a physical deformity being the main characteristic they're associated with) should qualify as monsters. 

      Restrictions birth creativity, and in all honesty there isn't much restriction in the vast vast world of monsters. There's folklore, cryptozoology, horror and fantastical bestiaries, with variations throughout every single culture and time period. Not to mention the many many twists on a monster you could use to make fun references to whatever you want to pay homage to. If I'm being frank, I feel like you're only limited because you haven't looked hard enough. 

        Loading editor
    • Right. For instance, the concept of Bendy is very similar to yokai monsters called Suzuri no tamashii, inkstone monsters. It's all about looking deep to find unique monsters and/or characters.

        Loading editor
    • Slasher killers are monster though. Jason is a monster. Micheal is a monster. They are fictional monsters that can come back from incomprehensable odds. 

      I say Renfield and Igor because of how they are protrayed in the universal classic films. Especially in each of their portrails by Dwight Frye, although Igor in the original Frankenstien film was actually Fritz and not Igor. They're not protrayed as people with disabilities they are protrayed as monsterous figures, not just by appearance but by the way the actor chooses for them to be. Often overshadowing the actual supernatural beings in film. Saying you can't call Renfeild a monster because he was a human with a supernatural affliction is the same as saying you can't call Lawerance Talbot a monster because he was just a man with a supernatural affliction he had no control in. The mad scientist was a canon student at Monster High, but what's monsterous about him other than the fact that he's 'mad' a psychological condition. Nothing. There's always going to be a debate where the line of monster and human is drawn. Where humanity stops and something new starts.

      As for the limitations of monster folklore. It's stupid to limit it in the way you did, which is by time period and copyright claims. The universal monster movies are fine, but any horror character with any cultural significance in the last 60 years that has branding after than point is cut off. The only difference between the creature of the black lagoon and freddy kreuger is thirty years. The difference between Freddy Kreuger and yes there can be characters based off as many different characters as you want from folklore, even though that could possibly be taken as offensive especially if your not careful what you take from. 

      I get maybe not wanting to including things like creepypastas and video game characters in just for fan overflow, but things that find their life and soul from the same things monster high is based off just seems silly. Especially with all the possibilities that come from things like cult movie monsters. 

      idk if my point is coming across. it's 1 am and I'm tired and my words aren't working right, but ah, yeah. thus is my rebuttle. 

        Loading editor
    • That's fair, but we do, in fact, allow for exceptions. We're not strictly against human OCs by nature attending MH, we would just prefer justification whenever creators do desire to post them here. It operates case-by-case, as not all slasher killers are Michael or Jason, and we do want to keep the majority of OCs here more obviously monstrous, if that makes sense. 

      We primarily allow Universal film-based OCs because canon does. Frankie I doubt is meant to be the literal daughter of the movie version, but canon updated her look to match the more modern film depiction, which isn't inherently frowned upon. MH tends to restructure the parents anyway, such as Erik Destler being an actual phantom, whereas cult movies are strictly set in stone, they have A to B plots and characters. So long as creators switch things up as canon would do, I believe we're fine with it. And I do want to add that the mad scientist that attended MH was canonically on a "normie transfer program", not viewed as an actual monster. 

      I'd have to check with the other admins, but according to prior conversations between us we would allow for Freddy Krueger because he's certainly "classic" enough and a demon-hellspawn, hardly human anymore. We only ask that users not treat the entire film series as canon to MH. In other words, one based upon the classic cult film is not a crossover, but using every modern spin-off and sequel is. 

      (Creepypasta is a weird case as some creatures like the Slenderman could be considered folklore at this point, which technically we should allow)

      I hope this all makes sense and I don't come across as condescending, and if so I apologize. 

      Again, we do allow for human OCs and characters that stem from cult movies, but we want for them to be handled how canon would go about it. The life and soul of MH doesn't just come from these stories and parents, but how they are changed up for a more unique take. 

        Loading editor
    • But what about black eyed children? They are monsters:)

        Loading editor
    • Sirenscall wrote:
      No crossovers kind of limits things. 

      I always enjoyed people making OCs based off famous horror movie monsters. I mean... Dream Demons and Slasher Killers are monsters too! The point of a fandom is to be able to explore things that often wouldn't appear in canon, by limiting things so much you limit the creativity you give to creators.

      Also by saying you don't allow things that are 'technically' human, you also 'techinally' say that any Mad Scientists, Any Jeykll/Hydes, An Phantom of the Opera kids, and any Igor/Renfield etc. kids aren't allowed because they 'are' 'techincally' 'human'. 

      It won't stop me from making OCs, it just feels very limiting to a certain demographic. Especially when you have the chance to have fun with all these Horror inspired looks. Horror is a broad genre and exploring it should be something this fandom encourages. This is like... baby's first horror show. Lead them into more things they can enjoy. 

      I disagree. You actually limit yourself by being way too specific about Monster Parents actually. Just go and create a son or a daughter of whatever "out of the place" monster you like, and start to research them a bit more in-depth, because MOST OF THEM actually have been inspired by mythology to begin with and thus have an actual mytholigical counterpart somewhere...and then just name them as parent. Look at my Sirens for example: visually completely based on the Zora and Rito race from the Legend of Zelda, yet I still call them daughters of Sirens and everyone is happy ;)

        Loading editor
    • Airbenderfreak wrote:
      That's fair, but we do, in fact, allow for exceptions. We're not strictly against human OCs by nature attending MH, we would just prefer justification whenever creators do desire to post them here. It operates case-by-case, as not all slasher killers are Michael or Jason, and we do want to keep the majority of OCs here more obviously monstrous, if that makes sense. 

      We primarily allow Universal film-based OCs because canon does. Frankie I doubt is meant to be the literal daughter of the movie version, but canon updated her look to match the more modern film depiction, which isn't inherently frowned upon. MH tends to restructure the parents anyway, such as Erik Destler being an actual phantom, whereas cult movies are strictly set in stone, they have A to B plots and characters. So long as creators switch things up as canon would do, I believe we're fine with it. And I do want to add that the mad scientist that attended MH was canonically on a "normie transfer program", not viewed as an actual monster. 

      I'd have to check with the other admins, but according to prior conversations between us we would allow for Freddy Krueger because he's certainly "classic" enough and a demon-hellspawn, hardly human anymore. We only ask that users not treat the entire film series as canon to MH. In other words, one based upon the classic cult film is not a crossover, but using every modern spin-off and sequel is. 

      (Creepypasta is a weird case as some creatures like the Slenderman could be considered folklore at this point, which technically we should allow)

      I hope this all makes sense and I don't come across as condescending, and if so I apologize. 

      Again, we do allow for human OCs and characters that stem from cult movies, but we want for them to be handled how canon would go about it. The life and soul of MH doesn't just come from these stories and parents, but how they are changed up for a more unique take. 


      Oh, alright. See. The terminology of ‘crossover’ just seemed vague to me. That’s understandable. It’s just a strange line. If I were to give you a critique it would just to be to clear up what that means in the rules, or even just as a side page that clarifies were exactly the line is drawn.

      I full understand not wanting clones of parents and characters stylized to match monster high’s style. That’s what I enjoy most about monster high. It’s the combination of the original mosnter’s style mixed with modern functionality as well as different sub-cultures/period style.

        Loading editor
    • I know that Dr. Farilier is a type of urban monster from disney. That is totally fine with it.

        Loading editor
    • MeapGirlAG wrote: I know that Dr. Farilier is a type of urban monster from disney. That is totally fine with it.

      Seeing as Dr. Falicier is from another series, namely “The Princess and the Frog”/Disney, a child of this character would not be appropriate for this wiki. However, I am certain there are Disney/Descendants groups or wikis where you could post a child of Dr. Falicier! :)

        Loading editor
    • Are we allowed to make fan TV Specials? 

      Because i have some good ideas for fan specials.

        Loading editor
    • Dragneelrock555 wrote: Are we allowed to make fan TV Specials? 

      Because i have some good ideas for fan specials.

      Yes, of course you’re allowed to make fan specials. :)

        Loading editor
    • Hi, um is it okay to create a child of a tim burton charactor like a son or daughter of Edward Scissorhands? And is it okay to create a son or daughter for Big Foot?

        Loading editor
    • No, you are not allowed to make a son of Edward Scissorhands because he’s from his own movie and hasn’t reached a folkloric status. But you are allowed to make a child of Big Foot. Marisol Coxi is the canon child of such monster. That doesn’t mean your character has to be siblings with her.

        Loading editor
    • hello, are monsters from the create-a-monster allowed to be part of the fan creations? 

        Loading editor
    • That should be fine.

        Loading editor
    • okay, i must thank you for the clarification, um, are pictures of fan-made dolls with the create a monster ok?

        Loading editor
    • If the pictures are taken by you then yes. If it’s a doll created by someone else then that’s their work and you’d have to ask for permission.

        Loading editor
    • ok then, fully understood, they'll definitely be taken by me if they are my own creation

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message